Thursday 11 October 2012

Scottish Slang

         Having made the decision to move to England, I'm finding myself thinking about the Scottish language more and more. There are lots of words we won't be able to use because we probably won't be understood! Another thing I have noticed is that we really do "sing" a lot of things we say.
        For my non Scottish readers I thought I would share some of my favourite slang words.
(Please note although I am Scottish, I don't speak like this!)


"Pick yer claes up aff the flair!" - Pick your clothes up off the floor!
"Em a'wa hame, em no goin' to your hoose".- I'm going home, I'm not going to your house.
It's dreich ootside. I went oot an' now em drookit!" - "It's miserable, cold and wet outside. I went out and now I'm drenched!
"Gie that a wee dicht, it's boggin!" - Give that a little wipe, it's dirty!


Something that people used to say when they went into a famous pie shop where I live is:

A bridie a peh an' an ingin' ane a'na.  I'm not going to put up the meaning for this, I'm going to leave you wondering!


   But there are some Scottish words that do slip into your everyday vocabulary. These are some of my favourites:

Hackit- ugly
belter- very funny or entertaining
minter- the process of blushing or feeling embarrassed
fleg- fright/scare
dub- puddle
bump- to steal something
bampot- prat/idiot

Another word which I didn't realise until very recently is a Scottish word (I thought this was used all over the UK) is squint. e.g That picture is a wee bit squint.

    If there are any English slang words you think I should learn before I move there, let me know.










No comments:

Post a Comment