Tuesday 1 January 2013

12 Days Of Etsy: Andrea Kett


1. Tell us a bit about yourself.

I was born in Dublin,Ireland ,after leaving school I studied animation at Dun Laoighaire College of Art & Design (Dublin) for 3 years,I moved to the Uk a few years back to complete my studies at Bristol University.I currently live in Manchester where I work as a freelance illustrator & general collector of Vintage goodies.


2. How did you choose your shop name?

As much as I like a clever pun or a witty name I decided to stick with my own name (Andrea Kett) 


3. What do you enjoy drawing the most?

Probably glamorous ladies (i used to want to be a fashion designer when I was younger,so naturally I love drawing  outrageous outfits, and accessories)




4. What is the best seller in your shop?

Probably my paper doll books (Miss Marpole and Undead Threads especially),although I have been selling a lot of greetings cards this year too,I find that cards are something that people always need  ...(also anything with Marie Antoinette sells well)





5. Your work sells all over the world, in which parts of the world is 
    your work most popular?

I would say the vast majority of my customers are from the UK or the US.


6. What inspires you?

Lots of things inspire me from music to Vintage fashion (mainly 1920’s -1950s), a good film,especially ones with unusual costumes. John Waters films are a real favourites of mine (I love all the little details,even down to the clever names he gives his characters).I am partial to an ol’ browse around a charity shop too,(these are a great source for my other craze,collecting vintage cake decorating books) 




7. How long have you been an artist?


I don’t really remember a time when I wasn't drawing, but I suppose technically I've been working as a full time illustrator for about 12 years or so.



8. What are your other hobbies?

As I mentioned earlier,I like reading,watching films,general treasure hunting etc (nothing sporty I'm afraid)





9. Do you collect anything?

Yes definitely, my house is packed to the rafters with my collection of lovelies, Vintage tins,wooden peg dolls (Victorian ones),Worzel Gummidge memorabilia, jewellery, odd china, vintage cake decorating/kids party books, fancy stationary,figurines,seaside postcards... to name but a few.


10. What is your favourite Christmas tradition?

Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without the Snowman or the Worzel Gummidge Christmas special on TV (not to mention Muppets Christmas Carol & Elf) & no matter how old I get I must insist on a selection box too!!




11. Do you have a favourite Christmas song or carol?

My Fav Christmas song would be between the Pogues “fairytale of New York” & The Pretenders “2000 miles”
Favourite Christmas Carols :Good King Wenceslas & Hark the Herald angels sing




12. What is the funniest Christmas present you have ever been 
      given?

I'm not sure about the funniest but certainly one of my favourites was a Barbie Mc Donalds 
(i remember my poor Dad spending the morning putting all the stickers on it ,I thought I would die from the excitement and I can still picture it as though it were yesterday....Happy days)


Many thanks to Andrea from Andrea Kett for taking part in this feature. Click here to visit her Etsy shop.






No comments:

Post a Comment