Saturday 5 January 2013

12 Days Of Etsy: Make It Awesome

1. Tell us a bit about yourself.



I'm a visual artist and writer. I have three published books of my collage, drawing and poety work. I've been doing this since the early 90s. I started making bunnies around then. I cut up an old sweater and started sewing. There was never a plan. 



2. How did you choose your shop name?



It's kind of a joke. I actually really need to change it. It doesn't reflect the bunnies at all. I chose it way back in 2006. Maybe earlier? I used it as my personal website. It was just something a friend said that slipped out. 'Make it awesome'. It's just about making things better.






3. What is your favourite item to make? 


Bunnies are fun but my heart is more with my art. The bunnies help support my other art practices. I can only make them once or twice a year. I make a small collection.



4. What is the best seller in your shop? 



The bunny!







5. Your work sells all over the world, in which parts of the world is your work most popular? 



I send alot of packages to Australia. I love that country. Our aesthetics jibe.


6. What inspires you? 



Almost anything. I like nature and the city. Beatrix Potter, Frida Kahlo...all the great lady artists. I consume alot of pop culture. I watch movies while I sew and then write reviews which are sometimes on Rookie. I work for them as well.
www.rookiemag.com



7. How long have you been crafting? 



Since I was a child.



8. What are your other hobbies? 


Trying to be healthy. listening to music. trying to be funny. 



9. Do you collect anything? 


Silly things. I like Bunnykins and depression-era dolls. Exquisite teacups and fun vintage eggcups. I put bunnies in them to give them a new life. Often an eggcup just sits around. It's a perfect bunny seat.





10. What is your favourite Christmas tradition?



Driving around looking at Christmas lights



11. Do you have a favourite Christmas song?




Silent Night is a tearjerker.








12. What is the funniest Christmas present you have ever been given?



I'm drawing a complete blank on this one. Just this year my family has started a new tradition of 'no gifts'. This is both liberating and kinda sad but kind of great. We all just buy what we want for ourselves. I do love presents!!!




Many thanks to Sonja from Make It Awesome for taking part in this feature. Click here to visit her Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment