Tuesday 1 January 2013

12 Days Of Etsy: Water In My Paint

1. Tell us a bit about yourself.

I originally went to fashion school and started out life as a costume designer and pattern drafter. Some how through the years I ended up painting full time, not really sure how that happened but I couldn't be happier!



2. How did you choose your shop name? 


The truth is that I picked my shop name simply because it wasn't already taken! But I liked it and have used it ever since.





3. What is your favourite animal to paint?


I love love love to paint cats! It's their bright, big eyes that will pop out of a watercolour painting. I also love to paint squirrels because they live such mysterious lives. They always seem to be rushing off somewhere exciting. But really I just love to paint any animal with lovely eyes and an expressive face.







4. What is the best seller in your shop?

My dancing, tutu clad ballet birdies have always sold well. Squirrels are also big sellers, especially when they're holding coffee cups, wearing Viking helmets or French berets and moustaches.








5. Your work sells all over the world, in which parts of the world is your work most 

Through my Etsy shop the vast majority of my work goes to the United States, followed by Canada and Australia. I've been working hard to promote myself locally here in Toronto as well.


6. What inspires you?

Animals!!! Surprising right? I've always had pets and used to support myself as a pet sitter and dog walker. I currently have 4 pets (though it used to be more!) so I'm always surrounded by animals and wouldn't have it any other way. Just like humans every animal I've ever meet has had it's own distinct personality. I find it amusing to imagine what an animal would be like as a human and that's what I paint.



7. How long have you been painting?


I didn't start to paint until I went to fashion school here in Toronto and had to take all kinds of illustration and art classes. Until then I really never drew at all which I find strange now considering that I make my living off of it. But once I started I never stopped. I've only been selling my work for 2 years now. 



8. What are your other hobbies?


I've studied ballet since I was 3 and still manage to drag my body to class twice a week (it's an addiction!) I love to make toys and t-shirts for my baby nephews and I also inhale books! Luckily there is a library just a block from home. Plus I love to walk the streets of my neighbourhood with my 2 dogs by my side.





9. Do you collect anything?

I collect cats I'm afraid! Some how i always seem to be adding more to the house. At the moment I have only 2 but I know it's just a matter of time before I find another one (or 2 or 3) in need.



10. What is your favourite Christmas tradition?


Oh there are sooo many. I love hunting for the perfect Christmas tree, whether I'm searching at a tree farm or at the local tree lot. I actually love to wrap presents. The rest of my family hates it so they often have me wrap theirs as well. I also love, love Christmas music and try to catch at least one concert each year.





11. Do you have a favourite Christmas song or carol?

That's a tough one! I love the Canadian carol The Huron Carol, and the old Engilsh carols All Hail to the Days and the Coventry Carol.




12. What is the funniest Christmas present you have ever been given?

I'm not sure about what I've received myself but I'm giving my one year old nephew his very own toilet brush this year. He LOVES toilet brushes!!



Many thanks to Deidre from Water In My Paint for taking part in this feature. Click here to visit her Etsy shop.







1 comment:

  1. This is fabulous Nadia! Thank you so very much:)

    Deidre
    Water In My Paint

    ReplyDelete