Saturday 29 December 2012

12 Days Of Etsy: Hoolala Jewellery

1. Tell us a bit about yourself.

My name is Sam I live in England. I created my brand Hoolala in 2005 shortly after I had designed a collection of gemstone jewellery for a spa chain I was working for when I was a graphic designer. it was a sell out and one of the girls said you should do this part time and create a website so I did! My style changed a little and I developed my charms - then I was picked up in a feature for The Sunday Times Style and haven't really looked back since.








2. How did you choose your shop name?

It came from a David Shrigley screen saver called Hula la. he is one of my favourite artists and I thought that is it! Then I Googled it and there was nothing on Google so I trademarked it as my brand name.




3. What is your favourite piece of jewellery to make?

I love making the large one off vintage luxe pieces as they are very special.




4. What is the best seller in your shop?

I am not sure it tends to go in cycles this year the vintage collection has been very popular.





5. Your work sells all over the world, in which parts of the world is your work most popular?

Mostly the USA and the UK but I also sell a lot in Europe and Australia.




6. What inspires you?

Oh my! Everything! I don't have a TV as I find it stifles my creativity but I do love films, books, flea markets and thrift shops.








7. How long have you been crafting?

I studied art for 8 years and have also been a graphic designer - Hoolala is now my full time job but I have always made things ever since I was little. One of my favourite photographs is me as a little girl (aged about 3) in the yard at a farm we used to live in making something with 2 bricks and a pile of twigs on a table.







8. What are your other hobbies?

I also deal in vintage collectibles and can often be found diving in skips, car boot sales and flea markets. I love to surf on the Atlantic coast with my long board and I have a little terrier who keeps me busy walking either by the river or on the beach the rest of the time.





9. Do you collect anything?

Yes World War I and II handmade love tokens.








10. What is your favourite Christmas tradition?

I love winter solstice and always make the effort to go to the woods on the 21st December to make a little ritual to welcome in the light. I take some candles to light and bread as an offering - then sit by an old oak tree and give thanks for the year that has passed and the year to come.




11. Do you have a favourite Christmas song or carol?

I love The Angel Gabriel - I used to sing it at in our school church choir and have fond memories of it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pliqObTHxUQ




12. What is the funniest Christmas present you have ever been given?

My sister is a graphic designer and we always buy each other a little joke present as well as the main present which I always look forward to opening most. This year she made me a handmade card of a red bus with me aged 7 driving it - I am going to frame it and put it on the wall in the studio.





Many thanks to Sam from Hoolala for taking part in this feature. Click here to visit her Etsy shop. Be sure to pop over to Hoolala's Facebook Page and click "Like" to be in with a chance of winning a fabulous prize!  The winners will be drawn on New Years Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment